How to Cook Crab Legs
* Cooking crab legs is not only impressive to foodie friends, but delicious. And guess what? It's easy. Whether you choose to steam your crab legs, prepare them on the grill, or even try out a
recipe in the microwave, you can serve up perfect crab legs simply and quickly. Most chefs choose king crab, whether from the North Atlantic, the seas off Northern Europe, or Alaska.
Steaming Crab Legs
Arguably the most popular method, steaming only requires a large pot, some water and a few basic ingredients.
1. Most king crab is pre-cooked and frozen, so you'll simply need to steam it briefly before it's ready to eat.
2. You will need to thaw the legs before cooking. Some suggest placing legs on a rack over a pan covered in plastic wrap. Otherwise, legs can thaw in the refrigerator for up to a day or two.
3. Once thawed, split the crab legs using kitchen shears, cutting lengthwise through the underside of the legs.
* The underside is the side that's lighter in color.
4. You can steam your crab legs in water or try something with more flavor, like beer.
* The Food Network has a recipe that calls for crab legs steamed in 3 bottles of beer with a little lemon and garlic.
* A court bouillon can be terrific, too.
5. Whether you choose water or something else, place a steamer insert into a large stockpot, so the crab will truly steam and not be waterlogged.
6. Steam the crab for a mere five minutes and serve.
7. Note that if you are steaming whole crabs, it will take more like 30-40 minutes, but the preparation is the same. Your friends will just need to be comfortable learning how to eat a whole crab properly!
8. You can either serve it as-is, with melted butter and some lemon, or dress it up
9. If you do not have proper steaming materials, you can get much the same effect by broiling the crab for 3-4 minutes in your oven.
Grilling Crab Legs
* A terrific method for summer, grilling crab legs is simple and the cleanup is easy, too.
1. For this easy recipe using a Provencal butter, you'll want to grill the crab legs shell side down over a medium hot grill for four minutes, while you brush them with butter sauce.
2. Epicurious recommends grilling for five minutes, until the crab is just heated through.
Cooking Crab Legs in the Microwave
* While some might disapprove of this method, you can easily cook crab in your microwave.
1. In fact, it doesn't get much easier: simply cover the crab with damp paper towels and microwave for 2-3 minutes.
2. The experts over at Red Lobster suggest microwaving for 5 minutes (still with the damp paper towels) on the defrost setting.
3. That's for how to cook crab legs.....
How to cook crab legs: baked-king-crab-legs